Todayís irrigation controllers allow for adjustment of the systemís watering schedule to fit different watering needs. MMII Licensed Irrigators will:
- Schedule each individual zone in your irrigation system to account for sun, shade and wind exposure.
- Consider soil type, which affects the how quickly water can be applied and absorbed without runoff.
- Set sprinklers to water plants, not your driveway, sidewalk, patio or buildings.
- Water at the right time of day. Watering when the sun is low, winds are calm and temperatures are cooler minimizes evaporation by as much as 30 percent. The best time to water is during early morning hours.
- Thoroughly soak the root zone (generally within the top six inches of soil for lawns), then let the soil dry. Watering too frequently results in shallow roots and encourages weed growth, disease and fungus.
- Reduce runoff by watering each zone more often for shorter periods
- Adjust the watering schedule regularly to account for seasonal weather conditions, plant size and other factors. Monthly adjustments keep plants healthy without overwatering.